Maryland Sheep and Wool or BUST

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Often in my classroom, I knit. Sometimes quietly behind my desk, sometimes smack dab in front of students from 22 different countries. I consider it a better option than nipping at a bottle and so I knit.

This has created interest and sharing with/among the students about the fiber arts. One is crocheting little white booties for the baby no one in class but me knows she is carrying.









Another is working on a baby blanket for a baby who is already here. But today, TODAY I was speechless when my student from Congo, Brazzaville - Yes that Congo, as in Darfur, Year of conflict, the worst place on the planet for children, Congo- showed me this .






She taught herself to "yarn" she said to help her not be nervous. Someone gave her the yarn. She didn't have a hook so she made one...


Out


of





AN OLD COFFEE STIRRER...



Did you GET that? Are you as Humbled as I am?






AN OLD COFFEE STIRRER!



12 comments:

Hannah said...

I am so blown away by this story.

This month I am editing Yarnival, a collection of links to amazing blog posts about fiber. Would you mind submitting this post? I'd be honored to include it.

Hannah said...

Thanks for allowing me to post this on Yarnival!

kemtee said...

Not so much humbled, but encouraged.

Those who want to reach a goal will overcome and do whatever necessary to reach it. How incredibly ingenious.

April said...

this brought tears to my eyes. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Kinda leaves one speechless.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing, beautiful story. Creativity isn't about money, it's about spirit.

Kirsten said...

Thank you for sharing this amazing story. I will have each of my children read it too. We have so much to learn from your student!

Liz K. said...

I am so glad to have found this post via the Yarnival. Inspiring is not even close...

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is a really amazing story. Thanks for sharing it. Be sure to tell the student how many knitters think she's wonderful.

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Now that's overcoming an obstacle! I hope you continues "yarning" for many years with the joy she obviously has for it.

Bo... said...

I am definitely humbled. Bless her heart, I got tears in my eyes when I read this wonderful story, too.

DeeAnn said...

Beautiful post!