Maryland Sheep and Wool or BUST

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Doggone Cheap Sheep


April 2006, I'm at my little bros. house in Waynesboro VA. I see a flyer in 7-11, yes, 7-11, for Sedalia Spring Fiber Festival, in Bedford VA. On a whim we go and one of the gems from that day is this roving that I bought from a 86 year old man and his big ole dog. The man processes and dyes the roving himself on his farm on the edge of valley . I pick it up. It feels great. No machine evenness, fresh. I read the label.

Dog, mohair
Cormo











I love it so much I buy two Colorways.
It's quintessential quaint.








I love it even more on the bobbin.

I'm already dreaming about next year. -April I think it is. The sweetest little fiber festival in the East. http://www.springfiberfestival.com/index.htm Leave me some dog hair. (Cheingora)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny how these things work out. I went into a 7-11 and all I got was a 2-for-1 ticket (provided the one was under the age of 10) for the "Ballantine One Half of One Ring Circus", where the performing acts are generally scarier than the clowns.

Hmmmm, clown hair.... Except for the collection process it might be a doable fiber... Have to look into that.

The Bedford festival was a hoot! I'm not a fiber-person (trying desperately not to take on yet ANOTHER hobby) but I had an absolute blast. From emus to llamas, they had all the hard to spell animals on display, and YES, the dog blend was one of the nicest bunches of roving there. I would recommend it to anyone intersted in finding lots of cool stuff for cheap. I'm eagerly awaiting the next one.

Hannah said...

How does dog spin up? Do tell! It looks absolutely stunning.

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

I Love that label--great seeing you tonight!